Title

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Nearly there...

Well, we are almost there. The finish line is in sight, only 4 more days to go and it will all be over. Woohooo! 
Do you like how I say 'we'? It's almost like we've trained for this marathon together. Well I say that but I don't recall you joining me on those winter runs? You have however done an excellent job of supporting, so thank you very very much for all the kind words, advice, sponsorship and for putting up with my panic attacks and meltdowns. I really have appreciated it all and I hope I do you proud on Sunday. Ok, good, that's the mushy bit over with then. Right on to the running stuff.
My intention last week, was to do one more long run. Ummm, yeah, well that didn't happen. It appears staring out the window is much more appealing. I did go swimming twice and kayaking twice and on two very short runs, so I was active, sort of, I just didn't cover 16 miles of solid running. Ah well. Too late to worry now. AGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

I had a minor mental break down this week. You can not run in the marathon unless you have completed the registration process and picked up your runners kit and number. To get your number you have to visit a big exhibition. Now the big exhibition is only on for 3 days before the marathon. You have to turn up in person, with your ID and your registration form. The registration form arrives with the marathon magazine in mid March. Now as I understand it, if you do not have the magazine you do not have the registration form, if you do not have the registration form, you can not exchange it for your running kit and number, if you do not have your runners number you can not run. Guess what....I didn't receive the magazine! 

Queue a mini breakdown, midnight call to the mother, some slow breathing exercises, desperate calls and emails to my charity and I'm back on track. Apparently this can occasionally happen. All I need to do is go to the help desk and tell them my story. All should be fine. Should be fine. I'll let you know what happens when I go to the exhibition tomorrow night! If you hear about a crazy person running around London Docklands, you'll understand right? RIGHT?!

When I first started training, I was all sorts of levels of excitement. I read all the tips and blogs and books and stories of people who had done it. I was picturing how it might change my life, how I might learn to love running (I haven't), how I would get super fit and slim (nope) and how this might give me the confidence to do other, more exciting things (we'll see). One piece of advice stuck out though 'I name each mile after someone I admire, I'm sure as hell not going to give up on their mile'. I thought it might be fitting to name each mile after those who had sponsored me, I will try my very best not to give up on your mile. Here are my miles:

1. Me - well I thought I should do a mile for my self
2. Nicola and Sam (my first sponsors)
3. Mark, Sarah and JJ 
4. Mike and Ann
5. Georgina, Anouska and Clare K
6. Julia and Christine
7. Hannah and Si
8. Amy and Alison
9. Lucy and Fran
10. Chris and Alex M
11. Orry and Greg
12. Micky and Toby
13. Kellie
14. Laura and Claire C
15. Nick and Kali
16. Kat and Saph
17. Helen R and Cole
18. Alex and Xael
19. John and Andrew
20. Danyel
21. Kirree
22. Jess
23. Louise
24. Natalie
25. Helen W and Chavonne
26. Mum
26.2 All of you :)

5 comments:

Frounette said...

Good luck! I will be somewhere between Kelly and Micki looking out for you and yelling support x

Nick said...

Becster! I am not sure how I feel about mile 15... Although it's a sweet dedication, the thought that you will be cursing my name at about the point you hit 'the wall', hmm.... Well, hopefully thinking about friends and family will get you through, and everyone will be like your steps over the wall. You're doing a fantastic thing for your charity, and yourself. Don't forget it all the way round. You don't need to break any records, just do yourself proud by sticking with it. It's three quarters mental. And you're mental alright!

Good luck girl. See you for beers on the other side of them bricks!! Nx

Anonymous said...

I am making your banner tonight Beckylee and it's going to be beeeaaauuutiful. See you soon xxx

John said...

Yey Mile 19! I like to think that by then you are home and dry! Good luck and thanks for the entertainment. Jx

Bec said...

Yippee, thank you every one. Frounette, I will be looking out for you - please hand me bottles of cider as I go past.

Nick - you love mile 15! LOVE ITTTT! (I say that through gritted teeth!). There is a chance that I will hate every one and their stupid miles by the end of this but we'll see how it goes.

Jess - so excited to see this banner!

John - there's still another 7.2 miles to go from mile 19! But I can crawl that far right? Right?!