Title

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Moral dilemmas

Hello,

How’s your week going? I hope the sun is shining where you are?
Right, so we’re on the big count down now, only 9 weeks to go!
Firstly I think I should probably apologise for last week’s message – wayyyy too much information shared there. Will try and tone it down a bit…

Ok, so last week I was determined to run 10k (6.2 miles) and run without walking for over an hour, with this goal in mind, on yet another dark weekday evening, I set out. The hardest thing about running is leaving my house, here is a list of things that will distract me:

1. Facebook
2. Hotmail
3. More facebook
4. The daily mail website
5. Apple trailers website
6. A phone call
7. A little more facebook
8. A chat to the housemate
9. Random internet stumbling
10. Cleaning my room
11. Staring out of the window
12. I’d probably better check facebook again before I go I guess
So you get the point, I’m easily distracted. But just when I’m about to switch the TV on, a little voice will pop up and remind me just how many weeks I have left, I have this horrible image in my head where I get to mile 3 of the marathon day and can’t go on, so curl up in a ball in the gutter. Shaking and muttering to myself. This image usually gets me out of the door.

About half a mile in to the run, I get this overwhelming need to stop and go home to my bed. Actually this is a recurring theme of my run, it tends to pop up every 5 minutes or so. It’s like my mind is fighting a battle of wills with my body. All I want to do is stop, learn to breathe again and get the hell home! At this point, I suddenly remember that people have sponsored me and actually believe I can do this, so I guess if you have faith in me then I should probably have some too…the legs keep going (just).

Well I over shot the 10k last Tuesday and returned home having done 7.3 mile with no walking at all. I was pretty happy about this. I wasn’t happy in the ice bath afterwards.

I manage another 5.5 miles on Thursday night and was intending to go for a long run on Saturday. Unfortunately I had a little nap on Saturday afternoon and lost the entire day (I think my bed is evil and trying to hold me prisoner!). Sunday was a write-off, hangovers and running do not mix!
Don’t worry though, I pounded the pavements on Monday night and got to 10 miles with no walking, this made me very happy. Well happy until I got in the ice bath and realised my toe was bleeding and I had blisters on top of my blisters. Also the ice bath made me scream in pain, bad times.

In others news, the London marathon people kept emailing me about signing up for a half marathon as it’s ‘good training for the marathon’, after several emails I was brainwashed enough to think it was a good idea. Unfortunately they only had charity places left, I just didn’t think I could raise another £500 but then I found a little charity who only want you to raise £50, well I figured I could just pay that myself and up I signed!

It wasn’t till after I had applied that I realised the charity was for a certain religion that I don’t actually follow. I feel a bit immoral about this but they are still helping people in Africa building schools etc so I’ll just focus on that aspect. They’ve already sent me a bib to wear on the day.

I now have 3 weeks to be ready for the half marathon (13.1 miles), I figure it’s do able, right? 4 laps of the Silverstone race track, sounds a tad dull.

When I first told some of my friends I was doing the marathon, they immediately informed me that I would poo my self – apparently this can happen!
Here are my goals for the marathon:
1. Get round
2. Don’t poo myself

I really want to achieve both of these! (So much for toning it down this week hey!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TMI? frankly boob and bum watch are the only reasons I'm going to sponsor you (which I will do nearer the time, promise).

Good luck